Skip to main content

Understanding Genetic Engineering

I was intrigued... or maybe just the my ignorance pushed me to dig some little "information" about this thing known as genetic engineering;

Or genetic manipulation;

Or genome sequencing;

Or germinal choice technology.

Well, so much of scientific terms but i think they just mean one thing: we are facing the period wherein men become creator of some "living things".

Much more that pushes me to think and discuss this topic is that the Vatican considers genetic engineering as one of the seven deadly sins of our present times.

Debate seems running on my mind: a sin or not? Good or bad? Benefits vs. dangers, which one outweighs the other?

Shall we live in fear?

I just read (http://www.emagazine.com/view/?632):

"The Nobel Prize-winning chemist Robert F. Curl of Rice University spoke for many of his colleagues in science when he proclaimed that the 20th century was "the century of physics and chemistry. But it is clear that the next century will be the century of biology."

Then this:



And also this:



Now my dear readers, I'm waiting for your comment....

Because I'd like to learn from you, too.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Messing around with the gene pool is pretty freaky. I think it's a bad thing to do. Who knows just what the effect of genetic manipulation will create? Not something I'd like to see happening in my life time ...
JunnieStar said…
Wow! Some food for thought (hmm is my food for thought genetically altered?)

There's an undertoe in all this and that makes people nervous, rightfully so.

Starshine
Albine Bodo said…
Hmm, Nick!!!! LOL! I never thought I have your comment left unreplied... wow, after more than a year I'm back to this Genetic Engineering issue. Thanks for my friend Starshine Junnie for posting her latest comment here. If not her, I won't find out ;-)

Well, actually a lot of changes in my belief system has happened in between (time of posting and now). Let me give some time to reflect once more of the issue, ok? :-) I shall come back.

My answer now is the honest 'no comment', hahaha...

Hey, hope you're well. Shall I see ya again here?
Albine Bodo said…
Hello, my dear Soulmate Starshine. Thanks for coming back.

No absolutely NOT!!! LOL... I honestly admire your words of wisdom and follow you.

With regards to this issue, as I replied to my previous commenter (also a friend), I still think I need some time to reflect more. LOL!!! As you know, my most recent focus nowadays is 'exploring self-awareness' and thus, after that (give me a short while ;-) ) and thus would give me a clear mind set about Genetic Engineering.

My Soulmate, I know you are just right there so near me to show me your pretty pretty grandest Light. I thank Heaven above for leading me to You.

Best Regards,
Bing