Skip to main content

What is Masipag in English?

Tagalog Tutorial on YouTube

I came to the idea of featuring this Tagalog word, masipag, since the day I went live via Facebook to show up with my Filipino group of friends. I focused the camera on Bruce and told them that: he is being masipag.

I almost forgot what is masipag in English. The first best translation that came to me was: busy bee!

Industrious: 

I have always thought, since I was a kid, that masipag is the Tagalog term for industrious.  I cringed when I used it because I never heard anyone of my American friends and family say industrious. Now I wonder why.

Hard working:

After a while I remember that mom Cathryn often says to me: "I see that you are tired, you work hard"... 
or
"It's been a long day for you. You're hard working."

Productive:

I also think that productive is the better translation to masipag tho it sounds like this word only refers to trees bearing fruits or to workers making lots of output in a day.

Diligent:

I have no idea what diligent really means and how is it being used in day to day conversation.

The following are definitions, as given by Filipino Tagalog Best Dict app for Android:

Diligent: careful and conscientious in one's work or duties. (my opinion, masigasig is the Tagalog term for it)
Hard-working: tending to work with energy and commitment.
Productive: producing or able to produce large amounts of goods, crops, etc.
Productive: achieving or producing a significant amount or result.
Industrious: diligent and hard-working.

At this point, may I invite you to watch my first Tagalog Tutorial on video: 


Having trouble accessing my video? Feel free to download or just listen:
Tagalog Tutorial
What is Masipag in English - Audio


Comments