Skip to main content

Allow me to react on recent issues...

I am a Filipina. I have never seen any episodes of the American TV show, the "Desperate Housewives" but all I know it is a kind of situational comedy series lead by some Hollywood actresses and one of them is Teri Hatcher. It's "season premier" has a scene that has been talk of the town (or of the world) especially when some Filipinos, lead by Kevin Nadal signed a protest against ABC network in the US. What was it all about? ...Here it goes: it started from the show's dialogue between Susan (played by Teri Hatcher) and her doctor. The latter says he's suspecting that Susan's coming to menopausal syndrome and he's referring her to another doctor. Thus, Susan replied she wanna check those diplomas because she wanna make sure those doctors are not coming from some medical schools in the Philippines.

Such dialogue flares up many Filipinos, including government officials back here in the Philippines. Then I sought on other country's web publications featuring this matter and found, as I expected two sides of comments about it. Check these out:

This is my feeling about this issue: that is definitely a slur to my race! That was really very offensive considering that the Filipino professionals, as well as the Philippine education system has been discriminately tagged upon.

Oh well, this is how I look at it...

I think Teri Hatcher, or the writer of the show, or whoever is behind that script should have justified (within the same segment of the show) such statement and prove to their viewers why doctors coming from medical schools in the Philippines are incompetent. Have she had any experiences on no good Filipino doctors? Others say it is not a serious show anyway that they were just trying to throw some comic conversations and make it fun. Funny indeed to some people who think that their race is superior among others. Funny to those people who simply gets entertained and never keep their mind going. To those people who have no fuss about this, imagine yourself if you're part of Ford Motors and some funny men on a show would say "...just wanna make sure if those cars are not made by Ford Motors". Now I ask you, does labeling or degrading one's reputation on a comic show simply makes you shrug your shoulder?

I have never deeply knew any Westerner in my entire life but as I have perceived they are the people who are direct and frank. They say what they feel and for me that's a good thing. If Susan (or Teri Hatcher) meant what she said, she cannot trust Filipino professionals including medical education in the Philippines. If that's her opinion, so be it! But she must say that on an Ophrah Winfrey's show. Yet "Desperate Housewives" is an scripted show. They would never exist if they don't mean business and they wouldn't make business if they don't get lots of viewers. Since they have viewers in almost all nations of the globe, they must be responsible for the message they want to convey, and must be sensitive about the statements they're trying to express.

As a teacher, my sensitivity was touched when speaking of education system in my country. In this case I'm speaking for the schools in general, not only for medical schools; for professionals in general, not only for medical practitioners. In my opinion, it's foolish to associate any professional's competency with the school's name (or country-base). Professionals (especiallly doctors) never go out of school without the practicum, and also there are government regulatory examinations that add value to these men's positions. Their competency gets even higher when they gained lots of experiences in their chosen fields. As the cliche goes, "experience is the best teacher". Therefore I agree that "Desperate Housewives" episode is into double standard.

To my fellow Filipinos overseas, this is an eye-opener to all of you. This is a challenge you have to face. You can choose to earn a dollar but get discriminated. You can choose to earn a dollar, do unpleasant things, be insensitive, but let other Filipinos suffer the humiliations. Or can you choose to gain your expertise away from home, earn a dollar for a while, finally go back home wiser, and help improve our country's economy?

To the Philippine's national and local officials alike, why can't you devise an excellent program to improve the country's economy so that your people don't need (but rather only an option) to seek job overseas? Why can't you bring out your heroic attitude, forget about personal interests, change your political culture, suffer a little and put the taxes that we pay to sound services so that most families find comfort in our home country?

To the Philippine's entertainment industry, learn from "Desperate Housewives" comic ways. Create local shows that's really entertaining so that Filipino viewers opt to switch to our own local TV channels. I don't know if Teri Hatcher's shows are airing via local TV networks. Most importantly, hear me, dear televiewers.... mark her shows and never ever view it again!

To the ordinary Filipinos (that includes me), do your craft with integrity, whether you are home or abroad. Excel in your own field, take pride in your own work. Though some arrogant groups make fun of you, I think they do it because they are intimidated! Regardless of race or socio-economic conditions, only ignorant, school drop-out people say things without supporting evidences. It's glorious to get a career and it's admirable to be domestic helpers of other races. If your sensitivity has been attacked, then it's time to go home. Let them do their household chores, let them handle their sick people, let them entertain themselves. Let us do the battle in our own fields!


Well, actually it's not been a while and another American TV show known as "The Daily Show" had a topic on women leaders which includes Golda Meir, Margaret Thatcher, and Corazon Aquino. It's basically the same thing, making fun without even considering sensitivity. Not-so-funny people really don't know what respect, particulary to great women leaders, mean. You can find here related news:



On the sport of boxing, another Filipino pride, Manny Pacquiao was able to bring home a bacon. Go Manny! Go desperate housewives, mock the minority or aren't you afraid of the fists of Manny? LOL! Congratulations, Pacman!


Sean, peace tayo!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Whatever it is.It's only a show! I don't see any point there why onion-skinned about it!Mas maraming problema ang pinas deserves our time & attention!
Doodski said…
Hi Albine. I can feel your heart as you wrote this post. I am a 100 percent Filipino too and I was surprised and felt the pain when I heard about this issue.

I will throw the blame to the writer , producer and the cast of the show for this insensitive remarks. Anyone of them can detect the very sensitive script as they do their rehearsals but none of them stops it.

In my point of view the show does not represent the american people. So I believe it will be fair if we limit the issue to ABC and the cast of " Desperate Wives".I am expecting the silent majority of America to condemn such racial insults.And I believe they do.

For our country this is indeed a wake up call. May this incident inspire our people to prove that the perception they used is wrong.

May you have peace in your heart Albine. God bless.
Hi Albine, I totally understand where you're coming from. I think TV show should be a little more sensible when it comes to stereotyping a certain race or country but I guess they're just in it to make money! I'd be insulted too if that happened to me and my country!
Albine Bodo said…
Ceecee, before anything else, thanks for reading.

For me it's hurting but I think what you mean is, there's no sense over-reacting on this issue. But c'mon, whoelse can defend your family members but the members themselves!

Hope you take it as a "feedback" that needs to be absorbed by the same system leading to greatness, if not ro perfection.
Albine Bodo said…
Yeah, you're right Doodski. The show indeed does not represent the whole America. Most of our professionals are doing good and I believed there are Americans, or other ethnicities who felt the same way as we are (hurt).
Albine Bodo said…
Nick, indeed they're in it to make money. Now I think "making money" is different from doing business 'cause in business we do ethics, right?
Anonymous said…
There's a sadder fact that many Filipinos do not (want) recognize aside from that slur in Desperate Housewives. In own local media, we 'slur' and insult each other...especially if you're dark skinned, or an indigenous, or a Muslim, Filipino-Chinese

In one recent episode of GKNB, one said she doesn't like to name her child THIA because it sounds Bisaya.
Albine Bodo said…
Kris, that saddens me, too. People of this archipelago have been divided by regions, and ethnic groups. Those who feel "classy" show arrogance and insult some people. It's the mentality in all of us that must be tuned.

TV shows are great influence to most people, I only don't know if its within MTRCB's mandate to review slur comments on shows like these. If that's not the case, I hope people on TV (i.e, actors, hosts, participants) learn to be sensitive and avoid feeling like superior among others.

I'm not a Visayan but in fairness I admire their accent when speaking in English. Better than classy ManileƱos.
Nessa said…
Hi Albine:)

I might have missed this particular episode. I do love this show. I don't think I'd be influenced by what she said. But I do understand why you're affected by it... I don't think you've over-reacted though.

Have a wonderful week:)
Albine Bodo said…
Hi Nessa! With my humble heart, I know most people are not distorted by unpleasant messages coming from media. Thanks, you are one on them.

It's okay if you continue to watch this show:) Afterall, I hope people behind this episode have learned a lot especially on the aspect of "sensitivity" and "responsibility" to their viewers.

Happy blogging and happy viewing Desperate Housewives, LOL!