Skip to main content

Me and My Diet

  • Semi-Vegetarians - those who are almost vegetarians; they only occasionally consume meat/fish/fowl.
  • Vegetarians - those who consume no meat, fish, nor fowl, but they may consume eggs or dairy.
  • Vegans - those who are vegetarians, and they consume no dairy, eggs, nor honey.
  • Raw Foodists - those who are vegetarians, and the foods I eat are never cooked.

source: http://www.veggieconnection.com/

Well, I'm a semi-vegetarian at this time but considering to be a vegan in the future. This is my choice because I'm into a simple lifestyle. Before I came to this preference, I simply believed in "simplicity". That means not going to put my resources (e.g. time, effort, body, money) into destructive ways; or not owning something beyond my necessity. Thus, I believe that choosing a vegetarian diet is one step towards simplicity.

Herbal medicine, I think was the main reason why I started to appreciate the vegetarian diet. Then I must also say that herbal medicine is another step towards a simple lifestyle. (Actually I myself is confused with the topic of this blog. Shall I write about vegetarianism? Or simplicity?). With regards to herbs and its medicinal properties I am convinced of their healing benefits to a certain degree that the patient's treatment is on the first aid basis. Added to that herbs, fruits, vegetables, grains, and root crops are rich in vitamins and minerals that help prevent human desease. Proper combination of those products is like taking over-the-counter medicines or synthetic food supplements. To stay away from doctors and synthetic drugs, I choose a vegetarian diet and that is simplicity. (Please note that I have nothing against doctors and western medicine, I'm only up to avoiding them!).

Beauty regimen... I'm crazy about it! I want to look good and feel good about myself, but you know, I hate myself depending on cosmetics and some beauty products commercially available. They're all losing my pursuit to simplicity, and besides they're all time-consuming. I'd rather do something else than doing the many instructions of pimple-free, toned, fair skin. I am always on the go but I like to have nice hair and nails. Believe me, the answer to all my complaints is my choice of diet. When I became "semi-vegetarian", the first thing that changes in me is this: pimples, which became permanent residents on my face years back have decided to leave their old homes on my skin. Now worry no more. Of course it is but natural to have them one or two, but they don't stay long. Then some very kind people, one of them my auntie noticed that I've got a pinkish glow on my skin. I believe I got it, I believe my auntie tells the truth. She has known me since I was born and giving that kind of comment is such a big thing. I believe so as I take a look at my toenails, I like myself.

On simplicity, check out my bathroom and I just kept the basic products. I think the little luxury I get to myself are conditioning cream for my hair, lotion for my skin, moisturizing cream for my face, little dash of cologne, and trusted herbal food supplement. Then I feel good about myself. Without this kind of diet that I have now, maybe I can have other products yet feeling ugly still.

Semi-vegetarian today, hoping to be vegan one day... there could be more reasons why I have this preference. I think that I still have to gain knowledge on other things leading to veganism like animal rights and spiritual beliefs.

Comments

ChrissyJo said…
This is very well written! While I originally was inspired to learn more about vegetarianism because of animal cruelty, I am reading so many more benefits to doing it. I decided to do the 30 day veg pledge on the PETA site. Wish me luck though, everyone around me - including the one who cooks free meals for me :( pretty much only eat meat, cheese, and potatoes. I'm going to be broke now lol.
Albine Bodo said…
Thanks for that compliment, Chrissy, and good luck with your 30-day veg pledge. Be part of the vegetarian bandwagon!
Hey Albine, though I do eat vegetables but I cannot go without meat for one day. I'm so use to having at least some meat that if I don't eat meat with my dinner, I get pretty hungry a little while later. Great post though.
Albine Bodo said…
I knew that, Nick... LOL! Most people really think it's so hard to give up eating meat. It only takes a decision to do so. Think about it:)
PinkPiddyPaws said…
Hiya!! I followed you here from MyBlogLog and just wanted to say hi...so..um..."hi".

Oh...and several of my friend are on a quest to "go Green" and one of them includes eating only natural "raw" foods. Well..also partly because she keeps developing allergies to like...everything! They've been tossing around natural (i.e. alternative) solutions to shampoo and soap and things like that.

Sooo...that seems somewhat relevant. Or..I could just be babbling. ha..ha.ha...

Cheers!
meow...
Albine Bodo said…
Hi Cinn, my pleasure to see babbling friends here. Hey don't worry 'cause my site's a babble sometime.. hee hee hee.

Send my regards to your friends who go green. Wish to correspond with them in the future.