Skip to main content

A Rare Saturday Night with a Bestfriend

So, it was such untypical weekend for me... despite the busy schecule and the nagging deadlines, I chose to see my friend, shall refer to as "Sunshine". Actually, I was the one who set the date simply because I long for a different environment. I was so tired and bored then with all the usual work-home-study activities.

Who is Sunshine?
Sunshine has been a friend to me since our high school days in the eighties. When we parted ways to continue our pursuits separately, there were four of us girls who were really close to one another, (silang 3, matatalino at magaganda pa!). I remember we had codenames then: twinkle (me), Danes, Lhyre, and of course, Sunshine. Among them, Sunshine and me have had lots of times together... given the opportunity to reminisce what we had, I think I need to open a new site for that... LOL!

Admittedly, gone are the days when we were so young and free. Sunshine got married in the late 90's and I left single (for such a long period of time). I confess, there was a pinch in my heart when she waved goodbye to "soltera" life. I felt that I lost my bestfriend... felt that she would hardly give each other a time for some shallow girl talks... That's why after she walked down the aisle, pretty sure of myself that I became hesitant to pour out my spirits to her. That was my feeling for these past nine years, and until last Saturday that we met again.

Indeed, I knew that friend of mine very much. She's a real buddy that I can count on in many ways! Though we rarely see each other since she got married, though our communications been lost and regained, I felt that she's just right there nearby... just one keypad-touch away... one common auntie to ask for whereabouts... one common friend... and presto!

This first semester, I was surprised that she's also enrolled in PUP. Only that, we're into different programs: she's taking MBA while me, MSIT. Then we see each other on Saturdays, most of the time at the canteen... only bumped into one another, rushing, no long talks. And each of us would say: "labas naman tayo, some time".

What Happened Last Saturday?
After her classes in PUP, we decided to go to Cubao, at about 6 P.M. we were both hungry then, so we wanted a great dinner. It's been a long time since I last stroll in that area of Quezon City. Today, Cubao is entirely different. There's Gateway Mall, very impressive, so new to me and I felt I'm a stranger again... LOL! We picked a foodstore that caters Thai dishes, it's Oody's. I chose a vegetarian meal. I can't remember the food Sunshine took, definitely it's a meat dish and an iced coffee. Before we even started to eat, funny conversation has begun that both of us talked a lot. We almost forgot we're both hungry because it seemed that our stories couldn't wait! I shared my story, the latest about me... and of course I first told her about Sean. Then I heard from her that Grace, her friend went through the same story as I have today. Grace now is happy with the man she met on-line. And I said: hmmmm, really huh?!

Chit chat, chit chat... we had fun! Then we walked around the mall, sort of she tours me around, and me full of observations on the existing shops, wondered if I wouldn't be lost there if I go back alone, or if I tour somebody else there... probably Sean, hee hee hee!

As I worry about the things I have on my "to do" list, Sunshine wanted to roam or talk some more. So we chose a coffee shop, it's Starbucks. More talks over cups of coffee, night was not getting young then. Topics that we had: common friends, classmates, "naughty" ways, past relationships, old heartaches, self-realizations, among all else.

Honestly speaking, there are lots of things that I realized after all these years:
  • Deepest level of friendship we had each other, it gets even deeper as our ages increase, no matter when communications had not become constant.
  • We are able to talk about "old guy's" conversations.
  • Trust that we had each other. Some secrets revealed that really amazed me today, things that "I thought" before didn't actually happened (pala!). Likewise, things that I didn't wanna tell her, I can bravely tell her now.
  • A very good company, it's worth spending so much time with her.


Hee, hee, hee... Hi, Sunshine! You know who you are! Hope you can still remember these codenames that we had.

Comments

It's great that you were able to connect with your best friend again.

My buddies and me are like family and we always try our best to keep in touch. That's why our friendship has remained strong all these years.

Glad you had a great time. Sunshine sounds like a nice person.
Albine Bodo said…
Nick, good friends are like family members, they are meant to be there forever... The quality of moments shared as time passes by makes friendships remain strong, as ever.

And true enough, Sunshine's really a nice person. I truly look up to her.
NIHAL said…
A great post about true friendship.

I for one sit in a similar state where most of my old school mates are now far and away from each other, but the thought of younger days spent together always seems to linger on in me.

It's times like this you really value the meaning of the word "friendship" :)
Albine Bodo said…
Nihal, it's nice to categorically imply that "antique" friendship is a treasure. The cost of remembering and flourishing is different. It's a pride in our side. I believe that true and everlasting friendship is priceless.