Skip to main content

Why do I Cry Today?

Today is September 18th, thirty days from now is October 18th, would be my child's 4th birthday. If fate has been favorable to me, I would be so excited planning and preparing for my little girl's party. I could buy her new clothes and shoes, invite her playmates, or even treat her out to a fantastic theme park... but that's not the hands of time for me these days. She's been gone so early in her child's life by a silent-killer disease, bronchial asthma. It was not so long ago when I last heard her struggling voice shouting "Mamaaa!" as she coughs. It was just four months ago.

There's no other pain in my life seeing my only girl dying. I knew she keeps on fighting for her acquired illness, up to the very last moments of her in this world. If only I could give her my own respiratory system just to make her survive. As a mother, I would do anything to make her comfortable. Yet, that moment of her was really beyond my control.

On losing her, most of my dreams became a castle built in the sand. Dreams that I have set so clear, so wonderful, yet reachable were wiped away by sudden coming of sea waves by the shore. Those dreams now only remain forever as sets of pictures on my mind. I thought I would see her go to school. I noticed she was so smart and I believed she would perform well in her studies, earn a degree and be somebody. I dreamt that she will grow by my side, be her best friend, guide her, play with her, stroll with her, or do anything that two buddies can do. I can't help it but I really feel sorry having her for such a very short period of time.

I cried and most of the times I sighed when I see things that remind me of her. Those things that she used to own... like her toys... her leather boots... her clothes, some of which have never been used. Her hair clips, hair brush, toothbrush are the things I don't wanna throw away. Seeing those things makes me utter her name. I resent when my eyes caught those many medicines she had took. I feel uncomfortable every time I pass by the hospital where her doctor is holding his clinic. I sighed most of the times because the melancholy is so endless.

Going home after work is never easy for me. When she was here, I await for 5 o'clock time to reach for that Bundy clock. I wanted to go home early because my daughter is happily waiting for me. When she saw me approaching the house, she would run and shout for "Mamaaa!". Then I would lift her, embrace her, and she would hug me back so tightly. Now, it's different. I can go home but no one is there waiting for me. I would always think I miss her... would always think my destiny's being alone forever. If I would give in, maybe I would die also, or perhaps I would even escape to reality.

Losing her seemed so unfair; lamentation is hard to handle. I cried and I cried, but I said to myself: "Hey, it's alright to cry today but you cannot cry forever!"


Comments

Hey Albine, I'm so sorry to know you lost your daughter. I cannot even begin to imagine how traumatic that must have been.

Yes, you're right, you cannot cry forever. It's time to move on. As long as you carry her in your heart always, then she'll always be by your side.
Albine Bodo said…
Thank you Nick... and yeah, I think moving on is the wisest thing to do.
Doodski said…
Im sorry to hear this Albine. I did not know that it has not been long since this happened. This is really tragic and losing a child is the hardest thing we can ever have.

I know its not going to be easy but it is true that life must go on. Im sure it will not be long that the Lord will wash away your tears and replace it with joy. Nobody cries forever.

May you find consolation in your heart. God bless you.
Albine Bodo said…
Thanks Doodski... and I hope, I hope for anything God has in store for me. I believe it's on the way, it won't take too long. Thanks again!
Oh Albine,
I am so sorry for your most life-changing loss! I cannot imagine!
It is good to cry and to remember.
Your little one rests in the arms of God. I pray you are comforted, even at night, when it is difficult to sleep. I pray you feel peace seep into your soul...
Albine Bodo said…
Robin, it's true, so difficult to sleep at night... lonely, I miss our bedtime stories and things like us looking at the window to see some stars... Thanks for your prayer and for this very touching message.
Wes Wyatt said…
Albine -

I leave you this comment with tears streaming down my face!

I have a 5 year old daughter and a son who just turned 4 this last Friday.

There isn't ANYTHING I wouldn't do for them! And the thought of not having them around is one of the most painful I can imagine.

Stay strong in your faith, keep your chin up, and even though it hurts - KNOW that your little girl's story is going to affect everyone you tell it to!

Because of your story - my wife, my kids, my friends, and the people I interact with today are going to get the best of me today! I always live as if today were my last - but today and in the days to follow - I'm going to embrace that idea even stronger!

Thank you, bless you, and have a DYNAMITE day!

Wes
Albine Bodo said…
Wes, it feels good to know that this story is able to affect some peoples' lives. Very great idea: "to live as if today were my last" . Enjoy the loving and the giving each day!

Your message gives joy to me. Thank you.
ChrissyJo said…
Sorry about your loss :( I had (have) a hard time dealing with losing my father in highschoo, it's been hmm over 8 years and I still cry. Just look to those positive, joyous memories to comfort you and be glad you got to experience them. Hope you can keep healing.
Albine Bodo said…
Chrissy, I hope I get to learn looking to positive joyous memories I had with my little girl. I'm thinking of posting here about that in the near future. Lots of them... but still those memories though happy, make my tears fall and sigh.

Yes, there is healing. I have learned to accept that she came, she departed, and has affected my life so much. Though she had not stayed longer as I wanted, I'm trying to figure out what wisdom this incident has given me.